Wednesday, July 22, 2015

767 Main Street Danville, Virginia

Former Main Street Methodist Church, circa 1861
767 Main Street Danville, Virginia


List Price: $174,500
Zoning: NC
Est Total SqFt: 18951
Type of Property: Office, Business Service, Commercial
Area: South Section Danville
# Buldings: 1
# Units: 1
# Restrooms: 2
# Bays: 0
# Docks: 0
# Stories: 3
# Parking Spaces: 4
Sprinkler: No
Lot Size/Acreage: 0.34
SqFt Office Area: 0
SqFt Warehouse: 0
SqFt Retail: 0
SqFt Manufacturing: 0
Age Roof: 0
Age Heating System: 0
Age Cooling System: 10
Year Built: 1867
Rooms: 7
Separate Heat: Yes
Separate Electric: No
Ceiling Height: 0
Utilities: 0
Construction: Brick
Heating System: Gas Radiator
Air Conditioning: Central Electric
Utilities Info: All Utilities
Floors: Carpet/Hardwood/Tile
Roof System: Wood Trusses, Metal Roof
Location: City
Access: City Street
Miscellaneous: Security System, Restroom, High Ceilings, Business Opportunity

Formerly known as Main St Methodist Church, this building is the city's purest example of Romanesque Revival architecture. The original Methodist church was constructed in 1867, and in 1891 the entire fa├žade was rebuilt following the design of architect William M. Poindexter and constructed by J.R. Pleasants.
This landmark church features a striking 87-foot, turreted tower housing an eleven bell carillon. The bells, weighing a combined 9200 pounds, were given to the church in 1909 in memory of the tobacconist James G. Penn, by his widow and his children. The former sanctuary features Romanesque-style arches, outstanding stained glass and a magnificent rose window, and a gorgeous pipe organ. In 1908, a mural of the Transfiguration was painted by Italian artist G. Lecchi.
767 Main Street was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in December of 1990, and is the only property in the city of Danville to hold that designation.
Please note: Square footage was obtained from tax assessment.



Main Street Methodist Episcopal Church South, also known as the Main Street United Methodist Church, is a historic Methodistchurch located at Danville, Virginia. It was built between 1865 and 1873, and is a scored stucco over brick, Romanesque Revival style porch. It features an elaborate 87 feet tall, corner bell tower that dates from an 1890-1891 church enlargement and remodeling. A complimentary flanking educational building was added in 1923. It is known locally as the "Mother Church of Methodism in Dansville."[3]
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.[1]












No comments: