Saturday, December 8, 2007

Jersey City Grand Dame







Tomorrow I'm going to see this forlorn beauty. She kind of reminds me of Blanche Dubois. At one point she must have been a stunner but time and neglect have taken their toll on her and well...she's a shadow of her former self.
I have been blessed (or cursed) with the ability to see a place like this and see nothing but amazing potential and beauty. I see elements and pieces and see what it can be with a little bit of desire and love. (look at the windows in that pink room!) I see a house that has a history and isn't like the house next to it. I see individuality.
Mike on the other hand sees what it is. A house. A huge house that will cost him lots of money to fix and heat and while we are discussing it isn't Jersey City evil?
Sigh...I'm going to see her anyway and I'll come back tomorrow with more pictures. They are asking $950,000 for it but the appraised value is only $322,000 and change. She has 9 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms and is an impressive 8,000 sq feet.
Maybe I can convince Mike to see her for what she is...Maybe I'll get a horse for Christmas too...

1 comment:

MCA said...

Jersey City evil? Why would you say such a thing? I've lived in the city all my life and have passed this house countless times. It's one of the most beautiful homes in a neighborhood (Lincoln Park) full of them. Please don't come to hasty conclusions about a city that has certainly seen better days but is diverse, friendly, convenient to NYC and the rest of NJ, and best of all, affordable.
http://www.wiredjc.com