THE SEARLES HOPKINS CASTLE
1888 CASTLE OFFERED AT 15 MILLION
14 Bed 13 Bath 54246 Sq Ft
OFFERING: 1888 French Château style stone castle, built with the finest materials of the 19th century. Interior finishes of the utmost value, including four varieties of imported marble, statuary accentuated fireplaces, carved wood ceilings, a Louis XIV drawing room with details in gold and original painted ceiling, acoustically engineered music room with 42 foot dome ceiling, and many examples of fine craftsmanship impossible to replicate. The exterior architecture features a slate roof and a variety of hipped and conical roofs accentuated by delicate finials, narrow chimneys,
gablets and turrets. The main structure is comprised of over 60,000 square feet, including an impressive sub-basement, staff quarters, and gym.
The property consists of 61 lush acres, with over a thousand feet of river frontage on the Housatonic. Stone loggia and formal terraces, lagoon and garden temple. Distant mountains frame the green meadows and stately property, which is tucked in-town but protected by a large stone wall.
Carriage house, barn, tennis court. Located in the Berkshires, a long time resort community for the affluent, located only 2 ½ hours driving time from Boston or NYC. Perfect for personal residence or commercial investment opportunity. Offered at 15 million. Inquiries to Kristine Girardin,
* Seven towers
* 40 rooms
* 7 levels
* 36 fireplaces
* Carriage house, lagoon, barn,
* Over 60,000 sq foot mansion
* 6000 sq foot carriage house
* 2300 sq foot barn
* Over 1,000 feet of river frontage
The Searles Hopkins Castle was finished in 1888. It was built by Mary Sherwood Hopkins, (1819-1891) who was the widow of Central Pacific Railroad magnate Mark Hopkins (1813-1879) After Mark's death, Mary Hopkins decided to return home to Great Barrington, and commence construction of the mansion.
She met Edward Searles (1841-1921), the interior designer for the castle.
They eventually married and honeymooned in Europe, where the couple acquired many important finishes for the mansion, which Mary called "Kellog Terrace."
Edward Searles inherited the property upon her death.
ARCHECTURE: Designed by McKim, Mead, and White and is thought to be the work of Stanford White himself. The 1888 French Chateau style mansion was built with the finest materials of the 19th century. The design is said to resemble Chambord or the older part of Chenonoeaux, on the river Cher, with its elaborate rooflines.
CONSTRUCTION DETAILS: The quarry on East Mountain provided the blue dolomite for the building, being brought down the hill and onto the property to stone dressing sheds. A modern home for its time - built with indoor plumbing and electricity. Many early electrical fixtures are still intact. Unique detail such as curved rooms, curved pocket doors, and countless carved wood and
marble fireplaces. Lake Mansfield once powered the organ and elevator in the castle. The two marble sphinxes currently on the garden temple, originally graced the front door to the mansion.
VESTIBULE: (ENTRY WAY)
Floored in moriah marble from near Lake Champlain on walls and trim, other marble French griotte, veined and spotted red marble- dark green from the Pyrenees, and port venere, verde maurin, and American black from Glen Falls, NY.
Right of vestibule, reception room paneled in black walnut, with FP red of vecchiano Italian marble. Elaborate ceiling reminiscent of fan vaulting in the Henry VII Chapel at Windsor Castle.
Far left of vestibule, breakfast room with FP Italian marble
Woodwork of hand polished English oak, as is much of the house. It is rumored that two ancient English oaken ships were towed to America and taken apart to provide the fine wood.
ATRIUM: ("Heart of House")
Side walls of rose of ivory marble from the atlas mountains of Africa. 16 pillars. Floor native white marble. Mexican onyx panels conceal electrical lights which gave the illusion of sunlight. Glass doors open upon a loggia above the terrace.
50 feet long entered through atrium beneath carved oak pillars. Dome shaped ceiling, 42 feet above. Carved oak seats. Formerly the home of a massive custom built organ, which was removed. Balcony from the second floor; third floor window can be opened and adjusted so the upper rooms are flooded with music. Small shelved room for storing sheet music. Acoustically designed.
Moorish style paneled in antique oak with FP French groitte and Belgian black marble. Opening to private porch for breakfasting.
BUTLERS PANTRY: Note the original call buttons and dumbwaiter.
Louis XIV drawing room, in white and gold, brought from Paris in sections.
Mantelpiece of Siena marble with bronze figures of Hercules. Ceiling was painting on canvas. Morning room on the Southeast paneled in dark oak. FP of porte venere black and gold marble from near Spezzia with gold-bronze ornaments. The woodwork is embellished with real gold leaf. The fireplace, alone, was valued circa 1922 at $25,000.
Second Floor Details:
Upstairs hall served as a family living room. Ceiling said to be one modeled after a ducal palace in Venice (oak paneling).
Circular library with dark native oak.
East wing - Mrs. Hopkins suite
Mantel of bois d'orient and Siena marble in the sitting room. Smoking room
on the west of verde maurin mantel.
The billiard room on 3rd floor is finished in butternut wood.
GUEST HOUSE: 6000 square feet comprised of meeting rooms, bedrooms, and