Saturday, January 5, 2008

More of the Middletown House

Here are more photos of the house in Middletown we are going to see today.

















So here is what sends my gag reflex into overdrive.
1. The lack of any sort of landscaping in the yard. Hello? Privacy anyone? The first thing that would go in are some flowers or shrubs and I can't tell how high that fence is but if my kiddos can climb it, it's being ditched for some cute white picket number (Hey, if you are going to force me into cookie cutter suburbia let me have my stereotypes. Don't worry. The yard will have pink flamingos in it somewhere.)
The fence also worries me because if the kids are out there without me (which I know they will be) ANYONE can watch them play and come and talk to them. They are totally on display and exposed. That makes me nervous. On second thought as soon as the weather gets warm we are putting in a tall new fence. I want the kids to play back there all the time without needing to feel like I'm a helicopter mommy. (You know the kind who hover around their kids) I'd also like the dog (dogs?) to be able to go back there without worrying about some wise ass teenager coming along and tormenting him. (He's a Basset Hound so people are always stopping to pet him) Jeez...who ever thought 10 years ago I'd be such a nervous Nelly mother?
2. The kitchen gives me hives. Seriously. The appliances don't even match! If you are going for the chrome or stainless fridge, spring for the new stove that matches or at the very least the dishwasher. The cabinet fronts have just GOT to go. Holy retro 1970's ickyness. The cabinets need to be redone in a white or maybe depending on the pantry situation we rip them out and put in shelves which I've always loved.
The walls make my eyes hurt. Nice white elegant subway tile is going in there as is a vintage kitchen sink PRONTO.
3. WHAT are those things in the doorway between the living room and the dining room? The listing is calling them "storage" I'm calling them horrible. Those are magnets for food and toys and dust. Maybe I can cover them with curtains till we can rip them out?
4. Am I losing my mind or are the two bedroom photos showing like a before and after? Both are awful colors on the wall but I'm now very confused and won't know till I get there what it is. I'm hoping it's not wallpaper...
5. The light in the dining room has got to go. Nothing wrong with it, just not my taste. I want something a little more over the top.
6. The wall color is actually nice but lately I'm finding I have a strong dislike for natural wood. We will have to see about painting it all...well maybe not ALL but most...okay some...
7. As I'm looking at these photos I'm seeing a few before and after things and I'm wondering just how long this home has been on the market...Check the living room. The carpet is there in one photo and gone the next. The love seat has one lamp and then two....

Things I like.
1. The yard. It's massive and I love the idea of a big yard for my kidlets. It's one of the #1's on my list for a house.
2. Like the style or not I LOVE that the house has fencing all the way around. Makes me feel safer about letting the boys play out there.
3. The proximity to everything. 2 miles to the supermarket, half a mile to the elementary school, 2 blocks to the bus for Mike.
4. The windows in the kitchen are great. 4 big windows and an eat in kitchen. That's divine.
5. The room with the rocking chair. I can't tell if that's in the front the back or the side but it's screaming "Daybed and lots of books" to me. If done right it could be an amazing little guest room.
More after we get back from seeing it...

No comments: